Tulsa Atheist Rendezvous

Tulsa Atheist Rendezvous grew out of the Atheists Meetup group in Tulsa, Oklahoma. We seek to provide an opportunity for those who self-identify as atheists to meet with one another for fellowship and to discuss matters of mutual interest. --Dan Nerren, moderator

Sunday, January 22, 2006

Four show for TAR meeting

There were four of us at the TAR meeting today. I'm starting to get discouraged, but we will give this venture some more time before calling it quits. The four attending today were Brian, Harold, Larry Ho, and myself.

It has been my desire to offer a sense of community to those with the courage to meet under the rubric "atheist." There seems to be no shortage of people who tell me: "If you want to increase your numbers, you should avoid the word 'atheist.'" But I am loathe to make that kind of compromise. I would rather have people in our group who have the courage to call a spade a spade, rather than hiding behind euphemistic language.

So if this group fails because atheists lack the courage to be forthright about themselves, then so be it.

But more of a problem than our choice of terminology is our lack of publicity. I will look into purchasing some ads, but since we have no treasury (i.e., no money) we may not get very far with this route. But we'll see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home